Aster Global has an immediate need for a Soil Scientist / Audit Team Member.
The Soil Scientist for this position requires a thorough knowledge and understanding of soil morphology, soil sampling, interpreting soil analyses, and modeling in project conditions from farmland to international wildland environments. Auditing practices in ecosystem services markets, soil health/production programs, and similar are preferred. Maintain professional, certified/licensed soil scientist designations. Demonstrate strong organizational, management, and communication skills for projects, including clients, third parties, management staff, and team members.
The ideal candidate will have an interest in the developing agricultural land management carbon offset project and conservation markets, including validation/verification (3rd-party audit) of agricultural, forestry, and other land use projects. Being self-motivated and able to be productive in all types of work environments are keys to success in this position.
In this position you will travel 40 percent of your time and may have an opportunity to experience some of the most remote ecosystems in the world.
The work location is flexible (remote) with responsibilities world-wide.
Your Contributions to our Success will include:
- Evaluating and implementing soil carbon models.
- Assisting with and conducting desktop and field validations and verifications of AFOLU carbon offset projects.
- Assessment/development/implementation of soil sampling inventories to evaluate soil carbon projects and data management.
- Quantifying various attributes from soil data, including statistical metrics.
- Establishing bulk density and carbon stocking levels, and calculating biological sequestration, from soil data collected using a wide range of methods.
- Designing and conducting soil inventory and performing inventory analysis.
- Monitoring contract compliance and results of ALM activities to assure adherence to government regulations and/or carbon market requirements.
- Assessing deforested lands to ensure proper reclamation to the most suitable end uses.
- Implementing projects for conservation of wildlife habitats and soil and water quality.
- Conducting ecosystem surveys and related studies.
- Participating in inventory/planting audits.
- Mapping various forest attributes, conducting geospatial analysis, and producing field maps.
- Supporting management with special projects and workflow process improvements and other duties as assigned.
- Course of study centered on agronomy. Prefer 15+ credit hours in soil science, sufficient to be used as the educational requirement for Certified Professional Soil Scientist credentials.
- At least 6 credit hours in statistics.
- Experience with soil carbon models, like DNDC, Roth C, etc., is a plus, though not a requirement.
- Excellent communication skills – must communicate clearly and concisely in a variety of communication settings and styles (including in foreign countries and non-English speaking situations). Effectively tailoring the message to the needs of the audience.
- Strong knowledge of soil sampling design, applications and implementation.
- Ability to adapt and adjust to new field situations and/or regulations.
- Quality mensuration services (including soil sampling), record-keeping/management, and subsequent data processing will be an essential component for this position.
- Experience using GPS and integrating field-acquired data into ArcMap for project documentation and processing.
- Knowledge spanning a broad range of technical and analytical services related to agricultural land management
If you have the following it is a plus:
- Strong understanding of the voluntary carbon market (especially the emerging Agricultural Land Management Sector) and GHG Programs (VCS, ARB, CAR, ACR, etc.).
- Auditing experience.
- Experience developing and implementing project scopes to meet time and cost constraints.
- Experience with programming and development/implementation of soil carbon models (DNDC, Roth C, etc.).
- Social and environmental assessment/survey background.
- Certified Professional Soil Scientist credentials (or working towards those credentials)
- Desire and ability to rapidly develop expertise in soil carbon offset project protocols such as Climate Action Reserve, American Carbon Registry (ACR), and Verified Carbon Standard (VCS).
Essential Job Duties:
- Maintains professional soil scientist certification and state licenses as requested by Senior Manager/Technical Director
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of auditing based on ISO 14064, 14065, and ISO14066 preferred
- Knowledge and working experience in the voluntary and compliance carbon offset and cap-and-trade market preferred
- Agricultural Land Management (ALM) experience preferred
- Auditing desktop and field
- Soil carbon sampling methodology review and implementation
- Soil mapping from large scale (high intensity soil survey) to smaller scales
- Soil suitability studies for a wide range of land uses
- Soil suitability studies for habitat and wetland restoration projects
- Preparation and presentation of educational programs for landowners on Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU)protocols, methodologies, issues and opportunities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Communicates clearly and concisely in a variety of communication settings and styles. Effectively tailors the message to the needs of the audience
- Proficient in Microsoft Windows, Word, Access, and Excel; basic knowledge of graphics programs
- Careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
- Thorough knowledge of voluntary and compliance offset markets
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
Education, Experience, Certifications, Registrations or Licensure:
- MS, (or equivalent work experience) in soil science (or relevant specialized field)
- BS, with a specialized degree in soils, with a professional soil scientist designation
Physical Requirements of the Job:
- Typically works in outdoors environment (domestic and international), which may include extreme working conditions and inclement weather conditions.
- As needed, lifts, carries or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to pass general physically fit testing.
- May be required to move about to coordinate work; travel/work in remote locations for up to 40% of time
- Ability to communicate or exchange ideas by means of verbal or written word to impart information to clients or to the public and to convey detailed instructions to other workers.
- Ability to work remotely (i.e. home office, remote field locations) without distractions and interruptions to complete a minimum 40-hour work week
- Work requires weekend and/or evening work; must be able to travel as needed for up to 20 consecutive days.
- Must have valid driver license and passport.
Job Location: Flexible with responsibilities world-wide.
Start Date: January 2023 (start time can be flexible)
Aster Global offers a comprehensive benefit package consisting of: Medical, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance, Short & Long -Term Disability Insurance, Retirement Plan, Employee Assistance Program, 12-Paid Holidays per year, Paid Vacation, Personal Time off Pay, and Bereavement Pay. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and market sector.
- Successful candidate(s) must pass a background check and must pass a drug test.
- Must have valid driver license and
- Work requires occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Must be able to travel for up to 20 consecutive days.
Interested candidates should send their resume, writing sample, three references, and anticipated starting salary via email to Natalie Hammer (email@example.com) by 15 November 2022
Aster Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Aster Global Environmental Solutions
Aster Global Environmental Solutions, Inc. (Aster Global), is a world-wide leader in the provision of ecosystem-based climate change and GHG emissions reductions/removal auditing services. With over 15+ year of experience in the GHG emissions/removals and climate change market and 20+ year of experience in environmental consulting, the Aster Global team is a dynamic, diverse, and rapidly growing group of professionals who are known for their expertise, integrity, and customer service.
Aster Global is accredited by the ANSI National Accreditation Board (ANAB) under ISO 14065:2013 for greenhouse gas validation and verification bodies including: ISO 14064-3:2006, ISO 14065:2013, validation/verification of assertions related to GHG emission reductions and removals at the project level for Land Use and Forestry (Group 3), verification of assertions related to GHG emissions and removals at the organizational level (Group 1 – General, Group 2 – Manufacturing, Group 3 – Power Generation, Group 5 – Mining and Mineral Production, Group 6 – Metals Production, Group 7 chemical Production, Group 8 – Oil and Gas Extraction, production, and Refining including Petrochemicals, and Group 9 – Waste), and verification of assertions related to GHG emissions for the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA). Aster Global is also accredited by the California Air Resources Board.
Note: This job description is intended to be a general summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of this position. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Assigned tasks are subject to change at any time due to company discretion, job requirements, reasonable accommodation, or other reasons.
Aster Global Environmental Solutions, Inc. is an EEO/ADA employer