Mr. Scharf is a soil scientist with over 24 years of experience in a variety of soils-related projects. His expertise includes soil carbon accounting, soil mapping, soil and groundwater flow studies, agroforestry, wildlife management, plant habitat and wetland delineations. His project management experience includes both private and public-sector projects in South Carolina, North Carolina, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and Connecticut as well as working around the world validating and verifying offset projects. He has been involved in validating several AFOLU GHG offset credit methodologies for Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and contributed to the development of two Climate Action Reserve (CAR) protocols as a Workgroup Member. Among many project validations and verifications, he helped verify the first ACR Nitrogen Reduction project, and the first ACR Rice project.
Mr. Scharf serves as a Senior Scientist for Aster Global and has been with the team for over eleven years. His duties include managing and conducting soils work for carbon offset crediting projects, auditing carbon offset crediting projects, onsite and municipal wastewater projects, stormwater projects, soil mapping and wetland delineation. Mr. Scharf is a North Carolina Licenses Soil Scientist, a Certified Professional Soil Scientist and a South Carolina Registered Soil Classifier
• High intensity soil mapping projects for onsite wastewater systems, general development & land use capability and wildlife management
• Soils investigations for municipal and individual wastewater systems
• Stormwater infiltration studies
• Groundwater monitoring/precipitation studies
• Wetland delineations
• Scenic River Suitability Studies.
• Research – contaminant transport through soils
• Research – nitrogen fertility in corn