Biological carbon sequestration utilizes naturally occurring processes to capture carbon dioxide and store it for years to come. Forests comprise greater than 20 percent of the world’s total land area and have the potential to absorb about one-tenth of global carbon emissions, and accordingly play a significant role in mitigating climate change.
Forest Project Categories
There are a number of programs/protocols/registries that recognize some form of forest carbon sequestration project categories. Each system has its own specific requirements for project eligibility including: different commitment periods, different calculations to determine credit generation, and different financial opportunities. Forest project categories that are typically recognized are Afforestation, Reforestation, and Revegetation (ARR), Improved Forest Management (IFM), and Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD).
Forest Carbon Sequestration/Avoided Emissions
Aster Global’s staff of professionals have a diverse and comprehensive background in Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU) carbon sequestration including national and international experience. Our goal is to provide our clients with the most comprehensive AFOLU carbon sequestration and avoided emissions services, including comprehensive due diligence and advising on potential projects, and turn-key technical project consulting.
Present educational programs on forest carbon issues and opportunities:
- Ecosystem services assessments
- AFOLU carbon feasibility assessments and due diligence reviews
- Permanence, leakage and additionality assessments
- Allometric equation development and technical review
- Unique ability to plan for permanence of AFOLU projects given future projected climates Carbon stock assessment through traditional or remote-sensing inventory, including modeling of future sequestration rates
- Carbon/ offset project development, implementation, management, and monitoring
- Project advocacy and representation during project development and verification
- Preparation and presentation of educational programs for landowners on AFOLU protocols, methodologies, issues and opportunities
- Market analysis of current registries/trading platforms/certification systems to identify opportunities and limitations
Predictive Modeling services:
- Site specific allometric equation development and validation [(i.e. site specific equations that can predict tree (or crop) height, biomass and growth overtime]
- Parameterize models such as 3-PG that physiologically predict carbon growth in plant communities; accounting for changes in temperature or rainfall that may result from climate change.
- Review the viability of plant communities such agricultural crops or forest in the future climate scenarios.
- Plan for permanence of carbon projects given future projected climates
For additional information on our services, please contact Janice McMahon (jmcmahon@AsterGlobal.com).